click the links to jump to details of individual books and other
The Odiham and
North Warnborough Visitors Trail – A pocket reference for a walk
round the parish - Price 50p
Street: An Itinerary - An invaluable reference book to the
architecture and history of buildings in the High Street, the
majority of which are listed - Price £5.00
The Parish of
Odiham: An Historical Guide – The more detailed reference book
to Odiham and North Warnborough - Price £4.00
Deer Park – Click here for
more details - Price £2.50
Please! - Click here for
more details - Price £4.50
and their chapels in Odiham and North Warnborough -
Click here for more details - Price
The Story of
Odiham Cottage Hospital – Written by Daphne Reggler to celebrate
the re-opening of the Cottage Hospital in 1999 - Price £2.50
A Key to Odiham
Castle – Written by Rupert Willoughby and published in 1998
following archaeological excavations of the site in the 1990s -
Guide to The
Cross Barn at Palace Gate - Price 50p
in the Bury - Price 50p
A Guide to the
Pest House - Price 60p
Journal - Available free to members. For non-members interested
in buying back copies, please contact the Secretary (see contacts
page) for availability and price
Currently out of stock
Click here for details
The Odiham Tea
Towel - Click here for details
- Price £5.00
NONCONFORMISTS AND THEIR
CHAPELS IN ODIHAM AND NORTH WARNBOROUGH
by Mary Ann Bennett
has always been thought that the Congregational Chapel, one of the
earliest in Hampshire, was established in Odiham High Street in 1662
during the turbulent period after the Restoration. The green outside
the entrance to the chapel is still known as Gospel Green and this,
it is said, acquired its name from nonconformist preachers, who had
been expelled from the churches after the Commonwealth period,
holding meetings there.
Today the chapel has been converted to residential use but the
site has as diverse a history as any building in the town. Not in
fact built in 1662, it was first converted or built within the house
or grounds of Richard Hooker’s property in 1692. It was initially
Independent and from 1739 Presbyterian. It closed in the late 1760s.
After it re-opened in 1794 it was Methodist (Countess of
Huntingdon’s Connexion) until the late 1820s, when it became
Congregational. The building was virtually rebuilt in 1820, extended
in 1832 and 1844 and restored again in 1891. It closed in 1958 and
was purchased by the PCC of All Saints in 1963. It became a library
in 1964 and was used as the church office. A Grade II listed
building it was converted for residential use in 1998.
This book covers not only the people who worshipped and preached
here and in all the nonconformist chapels in Odiham and North
Warnborough but also includes the struggle to keep it open, the
building of London Road School (now the Vine Church) and the role of
evangelists who were employed to make house to house visits, preach
in cottages or, when necessary, in the open air. From the men of
note who ran it, who were barred from public office because of their
faith, to the scandal of a failed preacher hanging on the coat-tails
of his famous cousin, this book exposes the power struggle and
frailties of those trying to maintain alternative forms of worship
in a largely Church of England town.
The book is available
from Odiham Society meetings and speaker events or from Odiham
Cards, price £2.50, or £3.50 by post from Helen Oliver, Thimrowe
Cottage, Alton Road, Odiham RG29 1PJ to include postage and packing.
ODIHAM'S ROYAL DEER PARK by Sheila
you enjoy walking the tranquil footpaths across the fields to
the north of the High Street and extending to the M3? Discover
more about the history of this area from the latest Odiham
Society publication by Sheila Millard.
The book is available from Odiham Society meetings and
speaker events or from Odiham Cards, price £4.50, or £5.50 by
post from Helen Oliver, Thimrowe Cottage, Alton Road, Odiham
RG29 1PJ to include postage and packing.
LAST ORDERS PLEASE! by Sheila Millard
whether your property was ever a public house.
Odiham Society is transporting readers who enjoy the public houses of the parish
back in time with the launch of a new publication, Last Orders, Please!
grown high quality malting barley and hops led to the proliferation of brewing
and the equivalent to one licensed house for every 125 inhabitants including
children by the end of the 19th century. Most of the establishments — converted
from front rooms — gave rise to a new breed of part-time landlord, enjoying a
will learn where their predecessors ordered a winter supply of coal with their
pint of beer. Some will even discover that their own home was once one of these
Sheila Millard discovered from gardening at her own High Street home that it had
also once been a public house: “I found the remains of literally hundreds of
pieces of 17th century clay pipe stems and even complete bowls in the ground.”
An archaeologist confirmed her suspicion. It was the site of the former Crown.
history of the public houses of Odiham and North Warnborough therefore makes a
fascinating read and a great illustrated companion when visiting the many
establishments still in operation today.
The book is available from
Odiham Society meetings and speaker events or from Odiham Cards,
price £4.50, or £5.50 by post from Helen Oliver, Thimrowe Cottage,
Alton Road, Odiham RG29 1PJ to include postage and packing.
THE ODIHAM TEA TOWEL
Odiham Society has sponsored both the design and production of
an Odiham Tea Towel, made in pure cotton and available from the
Katherine Jane gift shop and Odiham Cards, price £5.
The Odiham tea towel is also available at £6.00 by mail order,
from Helen Oliver, Thimrowe Cottage, Alton Road, Odiham RG29
1PJ. Please make your cheque payable to "The
The design incorporates several sketches of well-known
buildings, landmarks and scenes in and around Odiham, drawn by
Ray Millard and reproduced by kind permission of the Society's
Archivist and Vice-President, Sheila Millard, MBE. It makes an
excellent gift all year round, and provides a beautiful memento
for anyone who has recently visited Odiham.
All Saints Parish Church
King John's Castle
The Pest House
High Street, Central Odiham
High Street, Looking West
High Street, Looking East
The Poppy Field, Odiham
The Ford, North Warnborough
The Basingstoke Canal
'Click' on any of the pictures above for
a larger view.
The Postcards are available at Odiham
Cards, High Street, Odiham.